Sunday, October 12, 2014

Food Taste Date # 2: Tasteful Tastings Year 2 (Part 2)

As promised, here's the continuation of our FTD2, this time covering Ibarra's, Richgold, Queensland, and Ilustrado.

4th Stop: Ibarra's 
Let me begin by saying that this was a total letdown. While the table setting and the buffet spread were presentable enough, I couldn't say the same for the food.

Clockwise from top left: Lasagna, Bars, Honey-glazed Pork, Baked Chicken
Yes, that's paper plate and a plastic fork in the photo. In my opinion, events like this reflect the kind of service you extend to your clients. I didn't think it was wise to use disposables. But anyway, it was their call. Besides, we were there for the food, so I really wouldn't have minded had the food tasted great.

We barely touched what's on our plate. Aside from the fact that we were running really low on tummy space, the dishes were simply not appetizing. The pork was tough, as though it had been cooked and recooked a number of times already. Pasta was a bit soggy and tasted like store-bought lasagna. Baked chicken was just okay, I have tasted better versions from lesser known caterers. In short, dishes served were not what we would expect from a major player in the field. Especially considering that it was a marketing event, they could have prepared a more palatable, if not impressive, menu set.

What disappointed us most were their desserts--a variety of bars which had the same taste and same dry and coarse texture. I am not a professional baker but I can honestly claim I can do better desserts than what they brought. And in my book, a mediocre dessert spread is a major fail.

Package:
If you are still curious about their packages, here goes:
Standard Wedding Package for 150 pax - P104,250.00
Deluxe Wedding Package for 150 pax - P130,500.00
Plus 12% VAT

Aside from the usual buffet set-up and basic styling, the rates already include the use of a fully air-conditioned function room, a courtesy room, 3-hour use of bridal car, 3-layered fondant cake, bottle of wine, doves, guest book, basic sound system, and your choice of a 2-hour photobooth or 75 pieces of souvenir. Their quotation indicates that they do not require service charge and security deposit.

Based on this, estimated cost per head amounts to a little less than P800, with a function room and bridal car already provided.

Rye's Thoughts
Was Ibarra's really a big name in the events and catering business?

My Thoughts
If they cannot handle a food tasting event, how can they be expected to handle wedding feasts? The sample menu they provided us had a more interesting variety of dishes for couples to choose from. They even offer on-the-spot cooking of pasta, grill station, and carvery. Still, it's a bit frightening to get their services based on what we experienced. I was not satisfied with the food and for P800 per head, I expected a bit more. The free use of a function room and bridal car is a good come-on but the food was a deal-breaker.

Verdict:
Not for us.


5th Stop: Richgold Catering
First, Jed, the AE, was very accommodating and very insightful. It was as if he really wanted to help us prepare the most appropriate feast for our wedding day. At least, that's how I felt. But while we appreciate Jed's professionalism and enthusiasm, it's the quality of food and the value for money that matter.

We were immediately given seats and advised that food will be served shortly. I just requested them for a plate to share. Still, they gave us generous servings of their menu for that day.

Vegetable Lumpia, Mango Cheesecake, Oreo Cheesecake

Clockwise from top: Korean Beef Stew, Breaded Pork Chop, Baked Fish with salsa,
Lemon Chicken, Pasta in Cream Sauce

My review of the food may not be reliable since I was too full by this time. Rye said the chicken had no flavor. You wouldn't be able to say it was Lemon Chicken if it weren't for that small slice of lemon you can see on the photo. Pasta was soggy. Pork was lying on a bed of mayo. Breading was thick, and the meat in between was really thin. The fish didn't look inviting as well. We didn't touch it. If I paid for this plate, I will definitely be complaining.

Served on a separate plate was the lumpia. Since I like lumpia, I tried it and found the taste to my liking. At least, there was something I enjoyed from their dishes. The cheesecakes were those kinds made with gelatin. They reminded me of the desserts sold at our office canteen. Minus points for that alone.

Rye and I both agreed that the lemonade, with its interesting blue hue, was a refreshing break from all the sweet drinks served by the other caterers.

Packages:
The material they gave us during the event was actually a promotional offer, which I would be writing on a separate post. It's tie-up with Elements at Centris. However, for their usual rates, their website indicates that their lowest package is at P777 per pax, plus 10% government tax, bringing the cost to a little over P800 per head. For more details, you may want to visit Richgold's site.

Rye's Thoughts
This one was better than Ibarra's, but still the food was barely passable for him. The promo was a bit tempting. If we move our wedding date to a month earlier, we could avail of another P25,000 discount. But then, his heart was still set on an outdoor venue. Oh, okay, my heart is too. I just feel like a function hall is not for me.

My Thoughts:
Not really interested in the food. I thought the dishes looked lifeless and uninviting. They could have presented a more balanced menu for the event, in terms of taste and color.

Verdict:
We were offered a free food tasting for two. We are still unsure if that interests us or not. Pricewise though, Richgold is still beyond our budget, even with their promo.


6th Stop: Ilustrado
If there was one thing I remembered about Ilustrado was that the waiters didn't seem friendly at all. I was almost done getting food from the buffet spread when a waiter approached me and told me to just wait to be served at our table. I felt a bit embarrassed with the way he informed me. Anyway, off I went to our table with my plate of dishes I wanted to sample.

Penne in Red Sauce, Roast Beef, Seafood Paella
There were a few more dishes in the spread but I only wanted to try these. When Rye saw the paella, he felt a bit regretful for not trying Ilustrado earlier on. We both like paella and were sure we wouldn't get to eat much due to our already very limited tummy space. So to the our mouths the paella went. To be honest though, it was nothing really special. It didn't have that aroma and flavor distinct to paella. The shrimp was overcooked it was difficult to remove its shell. If I were to eat this with my eyes closed, I wouldn't be able to guess it's paella. Pasta was al dente, the sauce tasted like your usual red sauce. Sorry I forgot to check what type of sauce it was. I only managed to eat three or four pieces of penne. If there were any redeeming factor to this plate, that would be the roast beef. It was tender and was flavored well. Even without sauce or gravy, it was good.

The food the waiter promised me came a few minutes after Rye and I were done with our plate. I just politely told the server we have eaten our share already and just requested a couple a drinks for us since no water was served at the tables.

Packages:
The packages offered by Ilustrado are already inclusive of venue use, which translates to major savings. You can choose from their main dining room, a number of halls or function rooms, and their courtyard or garden. They also do off-site catering. I just do not know if they charge extra for that.

The following are inclusive of government taxes and services charges and apply to a minimum of 150 persons.
Champagne - P1,180.00 per pax
Silver - P1,580.00 per pax
Gold - P1,780.00 pax

With higher packages, you get to choose more appetizers, soup, salads, and desserts for your buffet spread. Rates already include usual buffet set-up, basic styling, 3-hour use of bridal car, 3-layered fondant cake, basic sound system, wine for toasting,  For VIPs, they use tiffany chairs. For guests, they use covered chairs with ribbon garb of your motif

Other interesting freebies in their packages are an overnight stay at their partner hotels, a torch parade during cake-cutting for outdoor or garden venues, location map for your guests, and a gift certificate at their restaurant should you opt to forego their free food tasting.

Rye's Thoughts:
He was not keen on serving Filipino or Spanish fare to our guests and the paella didn't help a bit. Rates are steep even with the venue already factored in.

My Thoughts:
I have been to Intramuros a number of times but have never thought of trying out Ilustrado. Now, I am a bit intrigued as to how their courtyard looks like. The pictures on their website are limited so I might need to drop by one of these days just to see for myself if the garden would suit our theme.

Then there's the food to consider. I loooove paella but I didn't like their version at the event. And of course, the price... Will the free venue and overnight hotel stay dangled infront of us be worth spending at least P1,180 per head? Maybe not.

Verdict:
Not for us.


7th Stop: Queensland Catering
One of our couple friends got Queensland's services for their wedding so we had an idea of how much they were charging. I didn't get to attend their wedding so I was still curious as to how they fared in the taste department.

I thought they had an interesting set of menu compared to the others. Salad was an interesting mix of watermelon, cucumber, and some greens tossed in. There was also roast beef which my tastebuds were growing tired of already, and rice. I should have stopped by their booth earlier. Since I was already feeling bloated, I only chose these:

Pita bread with Spinach and Artichoke Dip, Chicken Flambe, Fettuccine
Sorry for the messy plating. Promise, this tasted more appetizing than how it looks. The spinach and artichoke dip was really good. I loved it. Or maybe it's just because I love dips. My tastebuds welcomed the changed in texture and flavor. You could actually taste the spinach and bits of artichoke mixed in with the cream cheese. If I weren't too full, I would have gotten another serving of this. Chicken flambe tasted fine. It was my first time to try it. I didn't even know what flambe was so I can't tell if tasted right or otherwise. Pasta was al dente and was tossed in what I can only guess as olive oil. I forgot to get the full name of this dish. It was also another break from the tomato-based and cream-based pasta served by the others.

Packages:
I forgot to get materials from them during the event. My bad! I remember they have packages below P400 per head in their old website. They have a new website that I find a bit confusing to navigate. I still haven't seen where the rates are indicate. Good thing our friend shared with us how much they were charged for their wedding early this year. Without all the add-ons they availed of, food per head was priced at P335.00 only. Menu consisted of rice, soup, salad, pasta, 4 main dishes, 2 kinds of dessert, and drinks. However, they charged equipment fee, delivery fee and hauling fees which brought the cost to about P385 per head. Still affordable, right?

Rye's Thoughts
No comment on the food. He didn't eat a bite from my plate. As to price, he couldn't complain. This is the only caterer in the event below P500 per head.

My Thoughts
Next food tasting event, if Queensland is participating, I will make sure to drop by them first. I didn't expect much from them since their old website is not really informative and they have mixed reviews from various clients. However, I actually enjoyed their food. Or at least, these three that I got to taste. Plus, we found the rates they quoted our friends appropriate for our budget. Swak! Pasok sa banga! But I didn't have that "meant for each other" feel just yet... I am still awaiting their reply to my quotation request.

Verdict:
At last, a potential caterer. For another round of food tasting.


Last Stop: Purpledish Catering
For our last stop, we decided not to eat anymore since we have already sampled Purpledish the day before. We didn't even check what's on their menu for the event since we were already too full. We just dropped by to get our passport stamped.


Overall, we were glad to have attended the event. Not only were we able to sample dishes from a lot of caterers for free, Rye and I were also able to bond. I enjoyed listening to his comments. He, on the other hand, enjoyed watching me eat. Next food taste date would be at the Big Banquet 2, which is an even bigger event as it will be participated by the best and biggest caterers in the metro.


5 comments:

  1. Hello I am so delighted I located your blog, I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work. קייטרינג מומלץ לאירועים קטנים

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really excellent blog. Thanks for sharing the useful information. Keep sharing.
    with regards
    Catering Services In Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing blog! thanks for the honest review. Just want to share my site wedding venues in Intramuros

    ReplyDelete