Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Food Taste Date Reloaded: Part 1 Shekinah Dishes



And so we resume with our search for wedding suppliers. And what fun way to begin than with three rounds of food tasting! The best part is we get to take Baby Yo with us. Well, at least for the morning event since it gets really hot in the afternoons so we had to bring Baby Yo home before heading on to the second caterer.

I have booked a food tasting session with Shekinah as early as November of 2014. However, due to my pregnancy, we had to put off wedding preps. I was suffering from morning sickness all throughout my pregnancy so food tastings were temporarily off my list. But looking back, I didn’t really want to do anything back then. I was soooo lazy. I’m just so lucky I didn’t grow so big.

Our AE Jayson turned out to be really nice and accommodating. If it weren’t for budget constraints, I would have booked them just because I liked the way he entertained us. Reservation fee was supposedly P10,000 but he allowed us to just pay P1,000 and pay the rest in a week should we decide to reserve with them. At least, if I change my mind or find a better caterer, I only had to let go of P1,000. In exchange for the reservation fee, he offered us 10% discount on any package we choose.
We were at the venue early which was good since we were the first guests and service was real quick. The event was set-up in the Cycad Garden of Fernwood Gardens. I liked the effect and mood created by the hanging ferns and vines from the domed ceiling as well as the pond and staircase so I made a mental note to inquire with Fernwoods about their rates. 

This was what the waiters served us.

              From top clockwise: Fish fillet in Mango-Mayo Dip, Vegetable Au Gratin, Pork Oriental, Fisza O'La,  Grilled Herbed Chicken, Roast Pork with Fruit Compote,
Center: Pasta Pomodoro; Not in photo: Roast Beef and Korean Beef Stew 



I am a pork-fan but both pork dishes were leaning towards the chewy side, which was a letdown for me. I like my meat very tender, as in fall-off-the-bones tender. Good thing they also served us a separate plate of Roast Beef in Mushroom Gravy and Korean Beef Stew, which I immensely enjoyed. I never thought Korean Beef Stew could taste as heavenly and elegant. I actually never considered serving it in my wedding. However, after one glorious bite of Shekinah’s Korean Beef Stew, I had a change of heart (and menu). My taste buds are actually craving the taste as I write this post. Also my favourite is the Fisza O’La. First time to hear of and taste such dish. It was fish fillet in white sauce with mushroom and red bell peppers. Nothing really fancy but I found myself enjoying the dish. I preferred it over the Fish Fillet in Mango Mayo dip. Nothing can still beat the Baked Salmon we got to sample from The Old Bonifacio Grill. I have yet to check with Shekinah if they have the same on their food choices.

Pasta was linguine and came in two sauces: Carbonara and Pomodoro. Rye was served Carbonara and I, Pomodoro. We both preferred the latter. Personally, I think we can just forego the pasta. I don’t eat rice and pasta together plus most of my guests are big on rice. However, Jayson is not sure if we can just replace the pasta dish with another entrée. Sad. I’ll try to request this again if ever we push through with booking them. 

Then came the desserts:
Creme Brulee, Cream Puff, Cheesecake Square, Nutty Caramel, Mango Square, Not in Photo: Choco Loco
Of the bunch, it was the Choco Loco and Cheese Squares I enjoyed the most. Choco Loco didn't last long enough for the photo to be taken. It immediately found its way to my very eager taste buds. The mango square was dry and bland. The crème brulee, cream puff, and nutty caramel bar were just okay. Hopefully, they have more dessert options to offer or they will allow us to source our dessert bar elsewhere. A mediocre dessert bar will break my heart as I am big on sweets.

For refreshments, it was a choice between iced tea and softdrinks. Nothing special about their iced tea. It tasted more of the powder versions and not of freshly brewed tea that I expect from high-end caterers. I wish a more sophisticated line of drinks can be offered, like mocktails, or their special blend of iced tea. However, drinks are free-flowing which is a plus point since other caterers offer only single-serve drinks. Coffee and tea come with higher packages.

Package: 
As to rates, Shekinah have Standard and Thematic packages. Standard Packages start at P98,000 net, for 150 guests. That’s like P650 per head. Thematic Packages on the other hand begin at P166,000 net for 150 pax also or P1,100 per head. Rates already include tables, chairs, linens, centrepieces, backdrops, 3-layer cake, sparkling wine, styling (depending on the package availed of), VAT and service charge. Jayson also assured me that their wait staff are very professional and that I wouldn’t have to worry about any of them stealing food. This is one of my worries as I often read reviews of other caterer’s waiters stealing or hiding food for themselves. 

For the styling, Jayson showed us a number of arrangements they have previously done for their clients. We saw a few that we liked and were informed that they can customize designs based on our preferences if we get the thematic packages. Since we were rooting for a picnic-style wedding, Jayson said they can easily have it done or we can email our inspiration boards for their guidance.

Below is a sample of the stage/backdrop that Shekinah sets up for the couple. 

Rye's Thoughts:

He enjoyed the food that he wouldn't mind if we book them right there and then. He also liked the fact that the thematic packages were more affordable compared to other caterers.

My Thoughts:
Honestly, what I liked about Shekinah is the packages are already net of tax and service charge. Plus, for the service and food they offer, the package rates are reasonable. In fact, I enjoyed their food more than Hizon’s, Josiah’s, and Ibarra’s, all of which are big names in the catering and wedding industry. Shekinah may be a baby in the wedding scene but they have serviced celebrities already, which makes me feel like they will be increasing rates soon. 

Verdict:
Another potential caterer. We paid P1,000 reservation fee, to be completed in a week's time should we decide to book them. I don't think we're done shopping for caterers yet but we paid just the same just to lock in the 10% discount.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! How was your experience on your wedding day with shekinah? My fiance and i are considering them. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete